We take the security of our customers very seriously and have put extra thought regarding digital safety into the development of our product! We believe that we have made Filimins sensibly secure. Here are some of the things we have done to address this in the design:
- all messages are encrypted, sent and received through TLS/SSL.
- Filimins send out a beacon you can connect to wirelessly, but only for the first 2 minutes that they are plugged in. After that, there is no way for anyone else to connect to them
- There is an API key and MD5 checksum sent and received with firmware updates, on top of the encryption strategy.
- Your Wi-Fi password is never sent through the internet.
- Your Wi-Fi password is impossible to retrieve from a Filimin without dissection of the unit and our programmer (which is available only in-house).
- The color choices/groupings for your Filimin are about all that any hacker could get from our database.
When creating the original Filimin, we also consulted with a bank network security administrator throughout the design process. We still converse with him to make sure our information is fully up-to-date so that all Filimins are kept secure. So far, he's been satisfied enough with the design to purchase two sets for his family :)
Also, The Filimins do not track location. You may notice on our website (www.filimin.com) there is an interactive map of Filimins across the world.
To get the locations, we use the location based on the IP address. When the Filimins connect to our servers, we find the location of the Internet Service Provider and then randomize it by 10 miles to make sure we do not publicly give any specific information. We also never associate a Filimin ID with a location, it is just used for the map. There is no way to locate a Filimin based on its ID nor is it possible to find a Filimin based on a location. We can only tell that a certain ISP (Such as Cox or Comcast) in a certain area has Filimins connecting.
Tags: Security, TLS/SSL, API, MD5, location, map, secure, hacked, IP address, track