We take the security of our customers very seriously and have put extra thought regarding digital safety into the development of our product! We believe that we have made Friendship Lamps sensibly secure. Here are some of the things we have done to address this in the design:
- all messages are encrypted, sent and received through TLS/SSL.
- Friendship Lamps send out a beacon you can connect to wirelessly, but once they are connected to WiFi that beacon only lasts another two minutes. After that, there is no way for anyone else to connect to them.
- There is an API key and MD5 checksum sent and received with firmware updates, on top of the encryption strategy.
- Your Wi-Fi password is never sent through the internet.
- Your Wi-Fi password is impossible to retrieve from a Friendship Lamp without dissection of the unit and our programmer (which is available only in-house).
- The color choices/groupings for your Friendship Lamp are about all that any hacker could get from our database.
When creating the original Friendship Lamp, we also consulted with a bank network security administrator throughout the design process. We still converse with him to make sure our information is fully up-to-date so that all the Friendship Lamps are kept secure. So far, he's been satisfied enough with the design to purchase two sets for his family :)
Also, The Friendship Lamps do not track location. You may notice on our website there is an interactive map of lamps across the world.
To get the locations, we use the location based on the IP address. When the Friendship Lamp connect to our servers, we find the location of the Internet Service Provider and then randomize it by 10 miles to make sure we do not publicly give any specific information. We also never associate a Device ID with a location, it is just used for the map. There is no way to locate a Friendship Lamp based on its ID nor is it possible to find a Friendship Lamp based on a location. We can only tell that a certain ISP (Such as Cox or Comcast) in a certain area has Friendship Lamps connecting.
Tags: Security, TLS/SSL, API, MD5, location, map, secure, hacked, IP address, track